Choose a speech and re-interpret it as a book.
I chose Stacey Mulcahy’s (@bitchwhocodes) open letter to her neice, Future Woman In Tech, as the speech I will focus on for this project because it echoes the sentiment of myself and so many other women who are acutely aware that gender equality is still very much an issue in the workplace, especially within male-dominated professions, and are faced daily with the effects and repercussions of inequality.
The Book Design:
Ultimately, the strategy I’ve taken is to create a book that can be used as a tool for people who are passionate about achieving gender equality - for anyone, male or female, who can envision a gender-neutral workplace. This book has potential to play the role of consciousness-raiser, and will be a physical extension of Stacey’s idea that will raise awareness about the issue and increase visibility. Fold out posters and t-shirt as “dust jacket” are a few tactics I’m using to support the strategy.
To that end, continuity is key and I am doing my best to make sure there is visual consistency and continuity between her creation and mine in several ways:
- Keeping the color scheme consistent
- Keeping the type consistent. I contacted the typographer, Joshua Dardenof Darden Studio in Brooklyn, NY to request permission to use it for this project (he agreed and sent it to me)
- Pulling out the key phrase, “I hope,” used throughout the speech, and making it the anchoring idea for the execution
The book will have a total of 10 fold-out posters. Originally I intended for them to be 18 x 24, but that presented printing issues, and I found that the design actually worked better as 12 x 48 posters - both in concept and execution. 12 x 48 will echo the design and layout of the blog, contributing to the consistency and continuity of this printed extension of the speech.
It took them a while to get back to me, but once I received the font Jubilat from Darden Studio, about a week ago, I had to re-typeset all of the posters, and visually, the 18 x 24 wasn’t working for me. When I changed the sizing, and subsequently, the typesetting to a 12 x 48 format, the design came together much more nicely.
Tomorrow, I’ll send the posters out to be printed on a large format inkjet printer on a heavy matte paper I selected at Miller Blueprint. Because of the size, and the fact that the large format printers only use roll paper, I have to go with one of their stock papers. I’ll also start painting the t-shirt today (too many colors to be screenprinted, or I would have done that) - though I plan to test a t-shirt transfer as well. Friday, on my day off, I’ll be assembling the book via screwpost binding.
Can’t wait to see it come together!
But Wait, There’s More:
I plan to get in touch with Stacey to gage her interest, but this could turn out to be a promising way to raise funds to support Girls in Tech, an organization that “focuses on the collaboration, promotion, growth and success of women in the technology sector.” What an awesome potential opportunity this project has presented!
Well that was quick. Stacey tweeted at me and says she’s in!
In other news, apparently tumblr doesnt like custom HTML formatting and it’s making me lose my mind a little bit. /CUSSWORDS